Thursday, August 9, 2012

Mini Review: Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen

There have been numerous formal reviews of this latest collection of Anna Quindlan's work, so this one will be just a few comments to provide my insights in case you're still on the fence.

This is a perfect vacation read for us over-50s. It's definitely a woman's book that can have some appeal to women of all ages, but those of us who emerged from girlhood in the 60s and 70s can particularly appreciate her musings on life: liking oneself, wanting to change, changing, and finally ending up really liking oneself again. I listened to the audio version of this, read by the author, and was instantly transported back to my mid-Atlantic East Coast, catholic school upbringing.

Yes, it may have rambled on, yes it may have said in 200 words what she might have said in 150, but that's how I often think and talk too. When you get to our age, you're entitled to ramble and repeat.  It's relaxing, uplifting, re-affirming. Just the thing to start off on a trip back to girlhood summers with the family. It would also make a wonderful gift for a BFF today.

Author: Anna Quindlen
Publisher-Format: Books on Tape, audio 7 hrs
Narrator: Anna Quindlen

Year of publication: 2012
Subject: growing up female
Genre: memoir
Source: public library download

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this book. I did too and could relate to many of her stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't have quite as many candles as Anna, but I have heard her speak and I'm sure the audiobook would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rambling annoys me to no end anymore. Get to the point authors! No matter what your age..lol

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.