Thursday, September 15, 2011

Reading on a Plane

The person who invented the e-reader is on my short list for canonization, and the daughter who gave me my NOOK for christmas is right up there at the top of the list.  There is absolutely nothing like it for people like me who used to agonize for hours over which books to take on a trip, only to decide about half-way through that none of my choices held my interest.  Yesterday on a very loooonnnnnnnnnnnnng trip from Maine to California (Mr. Tutu and I both swear that it took longer to taxi to the gate at O'hare than it took to fly from Portland to Chicago), I finished over 1/2 a very long historical novel Theodora - and probably will finish it today as we drive around visiting various friends and relatives who won't be able to make the big reunion on Sunday.  E-readers--lightweight, easy to turn pages, and full of books (mine has almost 300 on there right now) are perfect for sitting, squashed in the middle seat (I did have two very polite seat mates, both of whom were reading real paper books), and losing oneself back in the Byzantine empire.

And no....I'm not getting any kick back for advertising from Barnes and Noble (I should be so lucky that they'd give me one of the new Nooks to test for them).  Any e-reader would probably make me just as happy.  I just happen to own the original NOOK, and love it!

Off to try to adjust to the time change!

5 comments:

  1. I'm still debating: Nook, Kindle, or real book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wish the battery stayed charged longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my Nook Color and wouldn't give it up for anything. Hope you're having a great time on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will admit that while I still have issues with e-books..I do love my Nook for travel, near or far.

    Eva...I vote for real books and Nook. You can have a bit of both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I'm dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century, I just last week bought a Kindle and haven't even had time to look at it yet. I must get it going though because I know of two ebooks that I need to read and review. My view is that the Kindle will be great for travel; otherwise I prefer a real book.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.