Monday, September 20, 2010

Mailbox Monday - September 20

It's Mailbox Monday, a fun weekly meme begun by Marcia at The Printed Page. This month it's being hosted by Kathy at Bermudaonion's Weblog.   Just as the post office or mailbox is a place to gather to share the news, this gives readers  a chance to share the books that came into their house last week.  This week has been fun.  No sooner had I posted last week's Mailbox offerings, than the UPS truck showed up with a box containing several yummies  that Tutu and Mr. Tutu could no longer resist, so we had ordered them. They included:





The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

I got this one for my Vietnam reading challenge, but really we both wanted to read and linger over it.

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

 This one is really for hubbie, who has been listening to an audio of the work, but who wanted a permanent copy.  I will be at least skimming through as part of my Vietnam reading challenge.  It's gotten incredible reviews, but hubbie knows me well and says it may be a bit too gritty for me. 





Stealing Lumby and Lumby's Bounty by Gail Fraser.

I so enjoyed the first book of this series (I borrowed it from my sister) that I decided I HAD to own the whole set, so I got # 2 and 3.  I'm putting them on the pile for when I need a nice easy comfort read.  They are so fun, that I hope I need comfort soon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And then another USP drop brought me

My favorite of the week!!!



You can read all about this delightful novel and even enter to win your own copy right here on the blog.  So click away and cross your fingers!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Prince of Mist
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

An audio I won from Bingo finally arrived.  It's only 5 discs unabridged, so it's the perfect length for me to finish in a couple of swim sessions. I haven't always been able to handle Zafon's work, but am determined to finish this one.  Fantasy is not always easy for me, but I like to stretch my brain and think this one will be perfect

It's war time, and the Carver family decides to leave the capital where they live and move to a small coastal village where they've recently bought a home. But from the minute they cross the threshold, strange things begin to happen. In that mysterious house still lurks the spirit of Jacob, the previous owners' son, who died by drowning.
With the help of their new friend Roland, Max and Alicia Carver begin to explore the strange circumstances of that death and discover the existence of a mysterious being called the Prince of Mist--a diabolical character who has returned from the shadows to collect on a debt from the past. Soon the three friends find themselves caught up in an adventure of sunken ships and an enchanted stone garden--an adventure that will change their lives forever.

2 comments:

  1. The Things They Carried is such a wonderful book - enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to read The Things They Carried for the challenge, too. And Matterhorn definitely is on my to-read list! Enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.