Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Review: Set Sail for Murder

Author: Carolyn Hart
Format: paperback 320 pgs
Characters: Henrietta O'Dwyer Collins, Jimmy Lennox
Subject: Family jealousy and murder
Setting: Cruise ship in the Baltic Sea
Series: Henry O mysteries
Genre: Amateur sleuth, semi cozy
Source: my own shelves
Challenge categories: Read from my Shelves, Book Club Reads

I'm not a huge fan of Carolyn Hart's Death on Demand Series, so when our mystery book club scheduled her as the featured author of the month, I chose to try one of her others from the Henry O series because it had been so long since I gave up on the DODs, I had no desire to re-visit Annie Darling, and this one had been sitting forlornly on my shelf waiting to be read for well over a year since I brought it home from a used book sale.  I was mildly and pleasantly surprised.

"Henry O" is an investigative reporter. She has brains, makes intelligent decisions about what to become involved in, and when to involve authorities, and is a thoroughly likeable protagonist. She is asked by a friend (and former lover) to help him figure out which members of his current wife's family is trying to kill her.  There's a lot of money at stake (not for friend or wife, but for the kids --making a great motive). The book is still definitely a cozy--there's no overt violence, the characters are filled out just enough for us to infer their motivations, the plot moves along in a pretty straight line, the cruise ship setting was well delineated, and anyone who reads mysteries more than twice a year can figure out by about page 200 "who dunnit."  Still in all, it was a pleasant and quick read--the sort one needs when one waits until the day before book club to gobble down something so as to be able to discuss the author intelligently.

2 comments:

  1. is it bad of me to actually like violence...at least in my books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Henry O series! It's been a long time since I have read one. Glad you were "pleasantly surprised". Have fun at your book club meeting.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.