Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday Salon


I'm late posting, but I just came up for air. I was determined to finish two books that had been hanging, and I wanted to get some needlework done as well, so I stayed curled up in bed to finish one book, and then being unable to handle any more "kitty kisses", I got up to fix breakfast. Tuna and salmon for the beasties, and blueberry buttermilk pancakes for the humans. With the World Cup, and later the Red Sox muted on the TV, I've been camped in in my recliner working on the Great Blue Heron cross stitch, on this foggy, misty Sunday (actually my favorite kind) listening to an incredible ending to a fabulous book . What a great way to spend a lazy Sunday!

I can report that I'm finally over my reading funk and have had an exceptionally great week. Friday, we had our quarterly Mid-Coast Maine librarians meeting - this time out on one of the islands. There is nothing as head-clearing as a brisk breeze on a ferry boat crossing Penobscot Bay, and as you can see, you sure can't beat the scenery.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
One of our favorite parts of these meetings is going around the room and reporting on what we personally are reading. I get so many great suggestions from this group, I need to start a whole separate wishlist just for them.

In addition to some chit-chat, I'm trying a more structured format for this post for the next few weeks. I must give some credit for Alyce of At Home with Books for her style which has influenced my own.

Books I read this week (reviews will be posted during the upcoming week - we hope!)
The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry - best of the week by far (the one I just finished !! FABULOUS)
The Serpent's Tale by Ariana Franklin - the sequel to The Mistress of the Art of Death (both worth reading)
Burma Chronicles by Guy DeLisle - my first Gothic Novel
The Executor by Jesse Kellerman - an ARC for a book that was released in April (and a good one!)

Currently reading This week I'm again 'ear-reading' two and print reading at least two others:
The Wettest County in the World by Matt Bondurant (recommended by a friend).
A Killer Plot by Ellery Adams (an ARC I received from the author).
No I Don't want to Join a Book Club: Diary of a sixtieth year by Virginia Ironside (recommended by my sister, who never steers me wrong)
Out of the Deep I Cry by Julia Spencer-Fleming (another Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyn mystery) - I can't stop reading this series, so I may as well keep going til I catch up.

Recommendations from my fellow librarians
These are at the top of my TBR/wishlist pile, and I plan to work as many as possible into the everlasting gob-stop pile of ARCs wanting reviews:
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonsen
Every Last One by Anna Quindlen
The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst (her newest one The Nobodies Album is up for giveaway here)
The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald
The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Phillip Pullman
Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (I'm in the queue at the library- maybe by the end of the summer!)

So off to enjoy what's left of the day....how was your Sunday?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention! It sounds like you had a nice relaxing Sunday. I wish I had the patience for cross stitching. I've tried it at several different times in my life and each time ended up with an unfinished project that sat for years. I still have a half finished friendship cross stitch that I was making for my best friend my freshman year in high school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, love the shot; looks like the perfect area for a conference:)

    I noticed your librarian friends recommended Every Last One; this was one I did not like....maybe it's me??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane...you know...I saw another review of the Quindlen book yesterday on LT that wasn't as flattering either. I must get my memory triggered to see which of my friends recommended and find out if she was finished it or just starting. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.