Friday, April 3, 2009

Taking Horror Personally

Ok...I confess....I've never read anything by Stephen King. We must own almost everything he ever wrote, but it's the other member of the family who reads him. My Read Around Maine group is reading The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, so I thought I'd take the plunge. But............. I'm really having trouble. I don't do horror very well. I'm the one who pulls her sweater over her eyes when the bad guys start shooting in the movies, or on TV; I don't read sci-fi, or horror stories. Where the Wild Things Are is about the outer edge of my horror reading. The fact that this book features a precocious nine year old girl lost in the woods of Maine is hitting very close to home. I have a grand-daughter this age, and I have a cousin currently thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. I'm also an avid Red Sox fan. So I'm batting 1000 in affinity, but not sure I can finish. If any of you gentle readers have ideas on how to push thru this pile of brambles, I'd be most appreciative.

1 comment:

  1. Tutu, get your feet wet with "Thinner," "Cujo," "The Body," or "The Green Mile." They might offer some levels of discomfort, but you won't be pulling that sweater over your eyes.

    Although King is only slightly less prolific than Nora Roberts, the man can actually write.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.