Thursday, April 16, 2009

A morning at the Dentist

Like most people, going to the dentist is not normally at the top of my "fun things to do" list. But last week, I discovered my dentist is a reader. So is his chairside assistant. As I was in the chair in the"open wide" position with tons of tubes, clamps, cotton rolls and lord only knows what else jamming my mouth, we somehow got into a terrific discussion of books, libraries, and TV adaptations. It's amazing how much communicating you can still do when your tongue is numb and you're not really allowed to speak. The old Roman "thumbs up/down" works really well. We did all agree on several books, and each of us agreed (I think) to go look up a book suggested by one of the others. I just wish I could remember what they were. The novacaine somehow migrated to my brain cells. The dental assistant told me about the reading club she belonged to and asked for suggestions for the next read...it was her turn to choose. I suggested Monica Wood's Any Bitter Thing , Kate Jacobs Friday Night Knitting Club, Geraldine Brooks People of the Book, and Sue Waters Water for Elephants. Turns out this last was their current read. Then we had a hilarious but fun discussion of Alexander McCall Smith's various series, and all agreed that the 1st Ladies' Detective Agency was definitely the best. They were thrilled to find out that HBO has made a TV series of these wonderful stories. Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi, Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni, and the whole loveable cast is there, faithfully portrayed, and delighting us as much as the books. The show is running every Sunday nite on HBO...check it out. And in the meantime, get your hand signals and your book list ready before you head to the dentist next time. Ask them to write down their recommendations. They'll be good ones.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.