Sunday, March 29, 2009

Review: The Dark Side by Jane Mayer

While this is a scary book, it is an important book. At times, I shook when I read it, and had to take it in small pieces. Mayer writes convincingly of what I would consider illegal acts committed in the name of freedom. I don't believe in making book reviews into political speeches, but after reading this, I was driving and pulled up behind a car with a bumper sticker that said : "I love my country. I fear my government." I couldn't have said it better. This will be an important work in coming years for those attempting to understand what the administration did and the justification it used in reacting to the attacks on 9/11. History and maybe the justice system, will determine whether it could have or should have been done differently. Small wonder it was a National Book Award finalist.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.