Monday, March 30, 2009

Atop Mount Battie

One of the wonderful reasons we live in Maine is that we can be close to the ocean and the mountains at the same time. In a recent discussion on LT one of my online 'friends' gave a great review of a book of Edna St. Vincent Millay's poetry. That nudged my brain to remember that she is a local poet, born right here in Mid-Coast Maine. When I went to the Literary Map of Maine and clicked on Ms. Millay, it brought up her beautiful short poem Renascence Edna St. Vincent Millay (1892-1950) All I could see from where I stood Was three long mountains and a wood; I turned and looked the other way, And saw three islands in a bay. So with my eyes I traced the line Of the horizon, thin and fine, Straight around till I was come Back to where I'd started from; And all I saw from where I stood Was three long mountains and a wood. Mount Battie is one of our favorite places to take visitors, and this poem sent me diving into the photo archives to match a picture with her wonderful words. A great way to welcome spring, and start looking forward to summer. A click on the picture will fill your screen with cool ocean breezes.

1 comment:

Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Now that you've heard our two cents, perhaps you have a few pennies to throw into the discussion. Due to a bunch more anonymous spam getting through, I've had to disallow anonymous comments. I try to respond to all comments posing a question, but may not always get to you right away.